Sunday, November 1, 2009

Dirtbag Chic

I learned a new phrase today from Freddie Wilkinson, another course participant, and it’s called “dirtbag chic”. We were sitting around the writers’ lounge when he downloaded the idea to me.

“It’s the Yuppie who wears ratty outdoor clothing and drinks Pabst Blue Ribbon at the bar to fit in with the other lifestylers.”

I meant to ask him if being a money-flush drug dealer while living and climbing out of your truck fell under this category, but Franki chimed in and the conversation quickly turned to politics. Luckily Tony walked in and broke up the meeting, which will convene again this afternoon at the climbing gym.

It’s pretty easy staying up at the Banff Centre around the clock and delving into our projects, but Freddie and I are running low on stores and will be making our first trip into town tonight. Christian Folk from Outdoor Research arrives in a few hours and I want to have some good beer on hand to celebrate his first Banff Mountain Film Festival.

As for my writing, it’s going really well. My strength is volume; I have absolutely no trouble coming up with content. I am working on structure and flow, focusing on telling the story in concrete detail instead of theory, rhetoric, and abstraction. I am so ready for feedback, both from the program editors and the other participants.

No comments:

Post a Comment